Spiritual celebrations. Holiday light tours. Black Friday. Parties. Mall parking lots. Riding over the river and through the woods to grandma’s house …
At no time are we more likely to be distracted than during the hectic holiday season, which lasts from a few days before Thanksgiving to after New Year’s Day. Not only are we more apt to be running extra errands and shopping more often, but people are also taking more trips outside of their local traffic comfort zone which means more distractions and more reasons to be hyper-diligent in our safe driving habits.
DRIVE SMART Virginia is urging us all to do our part and drive distraction free. Below are some safety tips from their website:
- Plan your trip in advance: Adjust mirrors, set your GPS and prepare your music before you leave your driveway.
- Buckle your seat belt: You are 75 percent more likely to be killed in a car crash if you are thrown from your vehicle, so buckle up.
- Reduce your distractions: Put away your cell phones and other electronic gadgets that require you to interact with them. Remember, distracted driving is involved in 80 percent of all crashes and 65 percent of near crashes.
- Take care of your car: If your vehicle hasn’t had routine maintenance in a while, take care of it before going on a big trip – especially if you are heading into an area where wintry weather can be expected.
- Don’t be in a hurry: Be patient. Be a courteous driver. Be prepared for delays. Stay relaxed and calm.
As one of the 43 million Americans who will be travelling this year during the holidays, be safe and arrive at your destinations in one piece.
For more safe driving tips visit the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles website and VMLIP Multimedia Library where there are a number of DVD’s, videos, CD-ROM safety modules and publications that focus on safe driving.
VMLIP offers more than just coverage. We are partners in risk management. How does your insurer stack up? Having all lines of coverage with VMLIP ensures that your organization is receiving comprehensive coverage and a wide variety of value-added services tailored to Virginia’s local governmental entities. Call for a quote today: (800) 963-6800. For more information on VMLIP visit: www.vmlins.org or follow us on Facebook.
** VMLIP blog postings are offered for VMLIP members to utilize in strengthening their risk management efforts. See copyright information for clarification on sharing this information..