Provided by: NetDiligence
The dangers of data breaches are far reaching, and the severity of them are being felt at all levels. You hear about the large ones like Anthem, Target and Sony, but in reality any organization that houses valuable information is a potential target from a range of vulnerabilities such as hackers to rogue employees.
In this first article for VML Insurance Programs’ (VMLIP) Cyber Risk Awareness Month, we will focus on the VMLIP eRiskHub and how it can help your municipality be more proactive in your cyber security and how it can assist if you suspect a breach has occurred.
Directions for accessing the VMLIP eRiskHub® are available here.
After registering, you can access the hub immediately using your newly created credentials in the member login box located in the top right of the page.
Once you are in the VMLIP eRiskHub you have access to a wide range of content.
First, and potentially most importantly, if you suspect a data breach may have occurred within your organization you should navigate to the Incident Roadmap. This page will provide you with the needed contact information to reach out to VMLIP directly. If it is determined a breach has occurred, VMLIP will reach out to a Breach Coach. A Breach Coach is a privacy attorney who specializes in breach events. They will be able to provide the important next steps.
The rest of the content in the VMLIP eRiskHub is geared towards education and decreasing your overall cyber risk exposure, and is broken up into the following sections:
- Security & Privacy Training – An overview of best practices for creating an effective security training program for your employees.
- News Center – Keep up-to-date on what is going on in the world of cyber risk through handpicked articles, feeds and blogs.
- Learning Center – An extensive collection of white papers, articles, webinars, videos and blog posts on a variety of topics. Looking for something specific? Try the search box in the top right of the page to search the entire VMLIP eRiskHub.
- Risk Manager Tools – A collection of tools with many different purposes such as researching known breach events, calculating your potential cost of a breach event and downloading free sample policies your organization can use as templates. Stay tuned as our next blog post will be a deep dive into this section!
- eRisk Resources – Information on third-party vendors that can assist your municipality with improving your overall cyber risk.
If you have any questions about the VMLIP eRiskHub please reach out to the eRiskHub support staff at email@example.com. Keep an eye out for our next post which will dive into the eRiskHub tools in more detail!
VMLIP offers more than just coverage. We are partners in risk management. How does your insurer stack up? Having all lines of coverage with VMLIP ensures that your organization is receiving comprehensive coverage and a wide variety of value-added services tailored to Virginia’s local governmental entities. Call for a quote today: (800) 963-6800. For more information on VMLIP visit: www.vmlins.org or follow us on Facebook.
** VMLIP blog postings are offered for VMLIP members to utilize in strengthening their risk management efforts. See copyright information for clarification on sharing this information.